New year, new hosting stack! This blog is now brought to you by Octopress, hosted on Amazon S3, instead of Blogger.
After spending some quality time with the tools I used in the move from Blogger (Octopress, S3, Route 53, git), I feel like the proverbial new pair of glasses has descended and shown me a new world.
So what are the benefits of Octopress? To list just a few:
- Solarized syntax highlighting built in. This was all I had to hear to get really interested.
- Easy editing of posts in the editor of your choice, using markdown, instead of wrestling the blogger tools.
- Cheap! For my minimal custom domain hosting needs, S3/Route 53 costs should be super low.
- Applying third-party themes is super easy, should you get the urge to check out alternatives.
- Storing everything in a git repo is painless, so no worries when playing around with new themes, or making other significant edits. In blogger-land this didn't feel anywhere near as easy.
To sum up, maintaining this blog just became a lot more enjoyable.
Some helpful Octopress references were: